In response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Municipality of Wawa will not be conducting or scheduling marriage ceremonies until further notice.
Please note that the Municipal Office is closed to the public beginning March 17, 2020, and marriage licenses will not be available for issue until further notice.

Vital Statistics

The Clerk’s Office acts as the local representative of the Division Registrar for vital statistics, which involves the registration of deaths, births and marriages. The Clerk is the Division Registrar under the Vital Statistics Act. All deaths which occur within the Municipality of Wawa must be registered with the Division Registrar.


You can apply online for birth certificates through Service Ontario, or applicants can submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar General at:

PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

For inquiries into birth registrations, please contact the Office of the Registrar General by calling the toll free number at 1-800-461-2156, or visit the Service Ontario website.

You may also contact the Municipal Office, Human Resources at 40 Broadway Avenue for vital statistics information at 705-856-2244 ext. 225.

Getting Married in Ontario

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario and if you are under 18 years of age you will need written consent from both your parents. Marriage license application forms are available at the municipal town office at 40 Broadway Avenue or online from the Ministry at:$File/11018E.pdf

To get a marriage license you will need to:

  • Fill out a marriage license application
  • Bring the completed application to the municipal office
  • Show original identification with your current legal name, date of birth and signature and bothpersons getting married will need to provide valid identification
  • Pay a fee to the municipality according to the Schedule of Fees

If you are divorced you will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage license. This can be the original or court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • The final decree
  • The final judgment
  • A certificate of divorce

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to prove you are no longer married and will need the government to validate these documents. The documents must be sent to ServiceOntario.

For more information please contact ServiceOntario at 1-800-461-2156 or check their website at:

You may also contact the Municipal Office, Human Resources for information at 705-856-2244 ext. 225.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The Municipality of Wawa offers civil marriage ceremonies at the Wawa Municipal Offices, 40 Broadway Avenue, Wawa. Prior to 2004, only Judges and Justices-of-the-Peace were allowed to solemnize civil marriages. Ontario Regulation No. 285/04 made under the Marriage Act, amended the Act to permit the Clerk of a local municipality to solemnize marriages. Civil marriages are simple and dignified. The ceremony service lasts approximately 20 minutes.

The fee for a civil marriage ceremony is $250.00 (2019 resident rate) weekdays or $300.00 (2019 non-resident rate) week-ends, plus the marriage licence fee of $100. Fees are payable by cash, debit or credit cards and these fees must be paid prior to the marriage ceremony.

Ceremonies are by appointment only through the Clerk’s department. Every effort is made to accommodate marriage requests.

Important information and details

  • A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence. Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence. A marriage licence may be obtained at the Wawa Municipal Offices, and may be issued the same day as the civil ceremony, provided all legislative requirements are met. Marriage licenses are also available from any local municipality in Ontario.
  • Two Witnesses. Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as indicated in section 25 of the Marriage Act.
  • Identification. Couples must present a valid piece of government-issued photo identification for each partner, which confirms full legal name and age. Parental consent is required for persons who are 16 or 17 years of age.
  • Marriage after Divorce. If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce, final decree or final judgment at the time of booking a ceremony. Photocopies will not be accepted. Please contact the municipal offices for more information and additional requirements if divorced outside of Canada.
  • Language Interpreter. Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if required, for a language other than English, or due to physical restrictions, such as sight and hearing impairments.

Marriage Solemnizer and the Ceremony Itself

The Clerk will act as an officiant to solemnize the ceremony. The civil marriage service will be a non-denominational, and solemn ceremony, which adheres to the requirements of the Marriage Act.

Marriage Ineligibility

The Clerk will not solemnize the marriage if any person who he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances rendering a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental distress
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents.)
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • One or both parties are currently married
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.

If the clerk solemnizing the marriage has any doubts as to the mental capacity of the parties, or one of the parties, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony.


The Municipality of Wawa offers civil marriage services to all eligible couples, following the June 10, 2003, Ontario Court of Appeal decision, making same-sex marriages legal in Ontario.

Ceremony Room

The ceremony room is located on the second floor at the Municipal Offices. The ceremony room may accommodate ceremony guests, ceremony participants, and a videographer or photographer if you choose to record and capture your special moment.

Need More Information?

For more information about marriage ceremonies, please contact the Municipal Offices at (705) 856-2244. To find out how to register your marriage or obtain a marriage certificate, visit Ontario’s Ministry of Government Services website or call 1-800-461-2156.