Property Tax Payment Plan
Enjoy the benefits of the Municipality of Wawa Pre-Authorized Property Tax Payment Plan. This voluntary plan offers you a convenient way to have your tax payments automatically deducted from your bank account. It is an easy way to pay your property tax bill.
There are no services charges or sign up fees for enrolling in this plan. To enroll, all that is required is that you complete and submit an Authorization Agreement for the plan, along with a void cheque. Pre-Authorized Payment Plan – updated 2019
Water & Sewage Payment Plan
Enjoy the benefits of the Municipality of Wawa Pre-Authorized Water and Sewer Payment Plan. This voluntary plan offers you a convenient way to have your water and sewer payments automatically deducted from your bank account. It is an easy way to pay your water and sewer bill.
There are no services charges or sign up fees for enrolling in this plan. To enroll, all that is required is that you complete and submit an Authorization Agreement for the plan, along with a void cheque. Click here to view the pre-authorized water and sewer payment agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the payment plan work?
Payments are based on the plan selected and are withdrawn directly from property owners bank account on the dates indicated.
How much will be deducted for each payment?
The Township of Michipicoten offers three payment plans options.
Installment Due Date Plan for Properties that are not in arrears.
- Payments in the exact amount of the interim and final installments are withdrawn directly from property owners bank account on the dates indicated. Four installment due dates.
- No penalty/interest added as paid by due date.
Ten (10) Monthly Payment Plans for Properties that are not in arrears.
- This plan runs from January to October of each year in ten (10) monthly payments. There are no deductions for the months of November and December.
- Applications must be received by November 15 to have next year’s property taxes withdrawn over 10 payments.
- The first six (6) payments (January-June) will be an estimated equal monthly amount and are based on last year’s tax rates and assessment. Once the final billing amount is known, the last four (4) payments (July-October) are adjusted to reflect the current year’s taxes, less the amount already paid in the current year.
- No penalty/interest added:
- providing a benefit to property owner
- encourage tax accounts to be kept current
- minimal penalty/interest not charged
- offset by more ratepayers keeping taxes current
- Payments are withdrawn on the first of each month.
Monthly Arrears Payment Plan for Properties in tax arrears.
- Customers must enter into an acceptable payment schedule with the Treasurer.
- This plan does not supersede any other tax payment agreements or tax registration processes.
- Agreed upon monthly payments withdrawn from customer’s bank account.
- Penalty/interest will be added based on existing policy.
- Interim, Final Tax Bills and Monthly Statements will be issued.
- Once the account is paid to date, the ratepayer may choose the Monthly or Due Date Plan Option as above.
- Payments are withdrawn on the first of each month.
How do I enroll?
- The customer must complete and sign an enrollment form.
- Should more than one signature be required on cheques issued against the account, all depositors must sign the application.
- The customer certifies that their bank account is in good standing with sufficient funds to cover pre-authorized payments as they come due.
- A void Cheque must be attached.
- No enrollment fees.
- A separate enrollment form must be completed for each property.
- Payment plans are not transferable to other properties. A new enrollment form must be completed for each property.
Can supplementary taxes or other charges be paid by pre-authorized tax payment?
- Supplementary bills or other charges cannot be paid by Pre-Authorized Payment. These amounts must be made by another payment option.
- Credit amounts remain on the account. Refunds are only issued by request. The refund amount must be larger than $50.00.
An NSF service charge will be levied for any payment that does not clear the account. This charge is subject to change without notice. The unpaid taxes shall be subject to penalties if overdue. Missed payment installment must immediately be paid to date. The plan will be terminated if two (2) debits or installments are returned due to non sufficient funds in a calendar year and ratepayer must pay balance as is due.
What do I do if my banking information changes or I want to cancel the plan?
Written notice is required for the following:
- Change in banking information. A void cheque must accompany the notice of a new bank account with the appropriate signatures included on the notice.
- Written notice must be provided 30 days prior to the next withdrawal date.
- Failure to notify the Municipality may result in the cancellation of the Pre-Authorized Payment plan.
- Change of mailing address
If I sell my property, what happens if I am on the Pre-Authorized Plan?
It is necessary to cancel your existing Pre-Authorized Payment Plan even if you acquire another property in the municipality.
Can I switch to the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan if I have a mortgage?
The Municipality would require written consent from the property owner’s Mortgage company, if applicable.